Monday, May 06, 2013

Step On It: Stalling



There will always come a time where we will lose our momentum. It's important to recognised that we have stalled and take the necessary steps to get back on track. In my case, most of the time I can't ignore that I have stalled. Mostly because my husband constantly asks "What have you done with real estate lately."

If you have to be accountable to someone, it's harder to lose your momentum. If you are into this on your own, it will be easier to lose the momentum and not notice you have. Investors that have joined an investment group or keep in close contact with fellow investors will find it easier to stay on track.

For me, December is where I stall. I like to go big for Christmas, just like my mom has always done for me. So I will, purposely stop or slow down with my investing. That is one of the good things about investing in stocks or real estate; you can control how busy you are. My problem is after Christmas is all over, I tend to continue my no action routine. It takes me a long time to get moving again.

I know this is an issue, and I realise that taking a whole month off does not work well for me. So what do I do to avoid the loss of momentum? Well there are a few things I will try differently next time.



Planning: I will still want to dedicate a large portion of my time in December to Christmas and Christmas activities. That's important to me. But I will do this with a plan, I will designate a day to looking at listings, sometime in early January and write it on the calendar. I will schedule a marketing event, exposing me to investors to help me get the motivation going again.

Don't Stop, Slow Down: Since regaining the momentum as been so hard for me, instead of stopping my investment activities, I could just decrease the amount that I do. I probably dedicate 4+ hours a day to the real estate investing (including this blog). If instead, during the holiday season I cut that down to 1 to 2 hours. I'm still moving forward and it doesn't take a very large portion of my day.

These have been my struggles with keeping momentum and my solutions. Leave comment and let me know. What do you do to maintain or regain momentum.

No comments:

Post a Comment